Shilajit, salajeet, mumijo or mumie is a natural organic-mineral product of predominantly natural biological origin, formed in the mountains (in mountain crevices and caves). Shilajit attributes its healing benefits to one of the main ingredients, an antioxidant called fulvic acid. The herb is made up of around 60-80% fulvic acid and the higher this content is, the more powerful it’s anti-aging property. Aside from improving gut health, it’s helpful with improving the skin and offers several benefits.
Studies have shown…
* A small study published in 2003 found improvements in cholesterol levels. The study included 30 individuals, ranging in age from 16 to 30 years.
* A 2010 study published in the journal Andrologia investigated the effects of shilajit on sperm in 35 infertile men.
The people in the study took 100 milligrams (mg) of processed shilajit in capsule form twice daily for 90 days. At the end of the study period, 28 participants showed significant increases in total sperm count, the amount of healthy sperm, and sperm motility, a measure of how well sperm move.
* A 2012 study found that this fulvic acid in shilajit may help block the buildup of tau. Tau is a type of protein that forms twisted clusters of dead and dying nerve cells known as neurofibrillary tangles. Tau is considered a key marker of Alzheimer’s disease and similar diseases.
- Shilajit may increase iron levels, as found in animal model studies.
- Shilajit may alter the body’s hormone levels, including a significant increase in levels of total testosterone.